Actually, smokers do not gain weight that because smoking makes smokers thin and when quit smoking they restore to normal weight.
1. Accept the truth: Gain Weight is common when quit smoking. Williamson conducted a study lasting 10 years evaluated gain weight due to smoking cessation on thousands of people, resulting 2/3 people who quit smoking are gain weight while the average of 2 , 8 kg in men and 3.8 kg in females. So when quit smoking, we must accept the fact that in most cases will gain weight.
The Impact of Tobacco on Health In Terms of Mental and Social
The Impact of Tobacco on Physical Health
Harms of Cigarette Smoking and Heart Disease
2. Talk to the right: Actually, smokers do not gain weight that because smoking makes smokers thin and when quit smoking they restore to normal weight. When comparing the average weight of the non-smokers with smokers, they found that the average weight of smokers always weighed less than non-smokers of the same gender, height, age. Smokers after smoking cessation, then their weight increase but in the end the average weight of those who quit smoking not more than the average weight of those who do not smoke. So needless to say it correctly here are smokers after smoking cessation was “restored normal weight” and not “gain weight” after smoking cessation.
3. Understanding the mechanism: Nicotine in cigarettes enhances the energy consumption of the body through the following mechanisms:
(1) Stimulates lipoprotein – lipase enzyme increased mobilization of fat reserves, strengthen the lysis lipide, reducing the synthesis of lipide. Reduce fat mass associated with redistribution of body fat, fat concentrated in the abdomen than in the hip and create male form (different from the female form is concentrated fat in hip more than in the abdomen)
(2) Stimulates the sympathetic nervous system increases cathecolomin synthesis, speeds up metabolism, increases heat generation. Each tobacco increases energy consumption from 8-10 kcal due to heat generated and increase metabolism. If smoke 20-30 cigarettes per day, the energy consumption in addition to the body is 200-300 kcal.
(3) Inhibition of insulin secretion, causing hyperglycemia, reduces hunger feeling, reduces the need to eat.
Reduce Nicotine when quit smoking would lead to:
– Reduce activation of lipoprotein- lipase enzyme increase the synthesis and storage of fat; Reduce stimulate the sympathetic nervous system make slows down metabolism, your body will “save” from 200-300 kcal per day; Increased secretion of insulin to reduce blood sugar, increased hunger and eat demand.
– Eat more is a consequence of the strengthening of reserves of fat in the body, reducing blood sugar, in addition to the consequences of changing the correlation of time between eating and not hungry – hungry feeling with the arrival soon of hungry feeling and appear late of not hungry feeling. The recovery of the sensitivity of the nerve endings of taste and smell help people quit smoking feel more delicious than before.
A person quit smoking if eat too much, he will have more than 400-500 Kcal every day (while the energy needs of a normal day only from 2500-3000 Kcal). Consequently, just few weeks after quitting, people who quit smoking will easily gain weight from 2 -3 kg.
The Harm of Smoking and the Way to Quit Smoking
How To Quit Smoking Naturally by Yourself
4. There are also exceptions: There are many differences in the gain weight after smoking cessation. 2/3 case gain weight means 1/3 the case is not gain weight after smoking cessation; The average weight increase 2.3 to 3.8 kg but can reach 10% male and 14% female rose more than 13 kg. Total gain weight depends on gender; men gain weight less than women: 52% of women increase more than 3 kg but only 44% of men increase more than 3 kg.
So there are some cases they really” gain weight” after quiting but not merely a “restoration of normal weight.” On this case of gain weight, it was noted that in addition to changes in eating habits, they usually can be eating behavior disorders, with intense hunger cravings, sweet cravings, special even those who have not yet had the habit of eating sweet; 1 Increase insulin secretion causing hypoglycemia 2 Reduced serotonin in the brain do appear sweet cravings, typical or atypical depression symptoms form of eating behavior disorders and increased sleep.
5. How to Quit Smoking Without Gaining Weight? The smokers should accept the truth will rise a few kilograms after quit smoking because gain weight after quitting is common and sometimes can not be avoided because this is the “recovery” of normal weight but not really “gain weight”, gain weight in terms of medical is softer than the risk of continuing to smoke.
Using support medicine:
Nicotine replacement: this is the most effective measures in the fight to gain weight, nicotine replacement can be used as a patch or gum, chewable particularly effective for eating behavior disorders. However need to identify with people quit smoking that nicotine replacement only makes the time of gain weight slowly and when stop using nicotine replacement will gain weight.
Bupropion hydrochloride: antidepressants under dopamine inhibitors and moradrenaline, the smoking cessation drug, also have inhibitory effects on gain weight due to smoking cessation.
Varenicillin: stimulate specific receptors for nicotine a4b2 help quit smoking and limit gain weight. Today it is considered the most effective drug for smoking cessation.
The Harmful Effects of Passive Smoking on Children
The Harmful Effects of Cigarette Smoke on the Health of the Baby That You Should Know
Eating: Not a diet but is changing foods: eat less sugary foods, fat and salt; eat more fruits and high fiber foods. The quitter may appear constipation, drinking plenty of water, the drug has Mg may be useful
Do exercise: Exercise regularly at least 30 minutes each day. Priority subjects enhance exercise endurance than strength (eg jogging, swimming, rather than weight training); prioritize sport teamwork than individual (eg soccer). “When necessary please consult a physician”
In the case of pathological gain weight, eating behavior disorders, people quit smoking should consult a specialist in smoking cessation, psychiatrist and Nutrients to get the appropriate treatment.
When have the designation of the doctor, it can guide quitters special training or even the prescription of specific medications such as appetite suppressants, antidepressants.
Appetite suppressants: ephedrine group as phenyl propanolamine, serotoninergic group such as dexfenfluramine but has many side effects and causing anorexia so appetite suppressants should not be used currently.
Antidepressants in serotoninergic group as fluoxetine is indicated when the quitters both gain weight and appears depressive symptoms.
Note: Use medications as directed by your doctor, do not arbitrarily!